Re: plpgsql handling a set of values

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org" <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org>
Cc: "Alban Hertroys" <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql handling a set of values
Date: 2006-10-11 16:22:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/11/06, pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org> wrote:
> > I think you should have a look at the ltree contrib package. It
> > implements tree-like structures, and probably makes your problem much
> > simpler.
>
> I have never used contrib modules with PostgreSQL - are they easy to
> handle - I mean, especially upon upgrade, etc.

installation:
make && make install

upgrade issue is tricky. their is a lower burden of backwards
compatibility than on in-core features. for example, some of contrib
was gpl and is getting moved out/changed. however, the more popular
modules, like tsearch are very well supported. I haven't used ltree
module myself but on the surface it has some advantages and
disadvantages over the approach I suggested. However, the authors,
namely Teodor Sigaev and Oleg Bartunov are some pretty amazing coders.

merlin