Re: Best suiting OS

From: Claus Guttesen <kometen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best suiting OS
Date: 2009-10-01 10:37:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Hi everyone,
>       What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres alone.
> The postgres must handle greater number of database around 200+. Performance
> on speed is the vital factor.
> Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??

As others mention FreeBSD is somewhat different from the others. I
personally prefer FreeBSD because that it what I do best. If you don't
have any prior experiences with FreeBSD/Linux spent some time
installing them and install some ports/apps. Try to become aquainted
with the update tools using the command line interface, csup on
FreeBSD, apt on debian/ubuntu.

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare