Re: Cygwin and Native Windows Install of Postgres

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alf Lacis" <Alf(dot)Lacis(at)aiscientific(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin and Native Windows Install of Postgres
Date: 2007-02-22 03:31:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 2/22/07, Alf Lacis <Alf(dot)Lacis(at)aiscientific(dot)com> wrote:
Hi Alf,

> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html#3.1 says
> to remove cygwin\bin from the path before running "the installer or the
> installed version of postgresql", but it is completely silent and does not
> offer *any* clues as to what to do afterwards, e.g. paths, DLLs, etc.

> What should I do so that I can have both environments (cygwin &
> windows-native postgresql) on my work PC?
>
> Should I buy a second PC?
>
> Should I use different logins?
>
> Should I use a fudge such as run-application-as-different-user? Services
> as different user?
I don't use postgres under windows (I don't use windows), hence can't
test the procedure. But what I understand from reading this is that all
you need to do is open a command prompt, redefine the PATH (tempo-
rarily, obviously, since you're doing it in one session) not to contain
cygwin\bin and then run the install. The problems DON'T relate to
postgres, just the installer.

Cheers,
Andrej