Re: Please help

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Kumar S <ps_postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please help
Date: 2005-03-01 17:55:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mar 1, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Kumar S wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I have a table and it has is like this:
> exp_id
> exp_name
> exp_type
> exp_desc
> exp_pmid
> exp_paper
> exp_author
> genechip_id
> exp_rawdata_link
> con_id
> "experiment_pkey" primary key, btree (exp_id)
> Foreign-key constraints:
> "$1" FOREIGN KEY (genechip_id) REFERENCES
> genechip_array(genechip_id)
> "$2" FOREIGN KEY (con_id) REFERENCES
> contacts(con_id)
>

> Based on the data I have information that should fill
> in this column U133A.
>
> What I have in the genechip_array table is
>
> genechip_id | fc_genechip_array |gc_spec
> --+----------------------+------------------
>
> 5 | Human Genome U133A Array | Homo sapiens
>

> Now how can I bring in the foreign key 5 to my
> previous table. All I have is U133A.
>
> Could any one help me in this.

Postgresql doesn't do this automatically. A foreign key only functions
as a link between tables after it is formed. You must supply the link
in the first place by a lookup in the foreign table either in the
client or as part of a function to load the data. You aren't going to
have many genechip_ids, so you could easily just append a column full
of "5" to the incoming data for each of those tables if you want a
quick and easy solution.

Sean