Postgres and/or Access, Oh My!

From: Bret Fledderjohn <freelancer317(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres and/or Access, Oh My!
Date: 2009-08-02 05:33:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I've got a meeting with a Harrisburg, Pennsylvania based non-profit to talk
about a creating a very light warehouse management system. This will be a
meeting to determine the scope of work, but initially they were asking for
an Access solution. When I get in there (and after I figure out the scale
of the project), I am anticipating offering a Postgres backend solution,
contigent on their needs and the software they are currently using.

This is a small organization that services the sight impaired and blind of
south central Pennsylvania. This particular aspect of the organization
employs the sight impaired and is a type of third party logistics. The
organization receives product, do some light assembly of sample packets,
and ship it out for a manufacturer in the area who is asking for more and
more detailed data.

If anyone has done nonprofit work with Postgres, I'd appreciate any
references/case studies/etc. to add to the credibility of Postgres to an
nonprofit organization that is currently owned by Microsoft.

Regardless, if this comes through, is there a repository for case studies,
or links to case studies, success stories, etc? I'd really like to help
advocacy, and if this works out the way I think it will, this seems like a
good way.

Thanks!

- Bret