Passwords in PSQL

From: Rafaqat Ali <smoken0(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Passwords in PSQL
Date: 2005-04-25 06:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello All
        I am using
                        \c [database] [user-name]
       to connect to any database.
       Any one can connect to any database. If any one knows user
name, he/she connect to db. I want to provide some security that no
one can connect without providing passwords. postgres uses a function
do_coonect() for this perpose. I provide it passwords but it let me
connect to db with any passwords provided. Can any one tell me how to
set passwords for db user. and how can I implement password protection
in psql.