Re: CVS regression test problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS regression test problem
Date: 2005-04-25 05:07:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> error messages like ! ERROR: unrecognized node type: 516
>>
>> I assume you make distclean'd ...

> aha, make distclean helps ! Sorry for bothering

I added/removed some node types, so if you didn't do a full rebuild
you'd probably have various files out of sync about which node type
has which number.

AFAICS there are two reasonable ways to work with updating from CVS:
1. make distclean (or at least make clean) each time you update;
2. configure with --enable-depend and trust gcc to get it right.

If you don't do either then you *will* get burnt. I personally use
method #1 --- I don't know what the reliability of method #2 is.