Re: Notes on converting from MySQL 5.0.x to PostgreSQL 8.1.4

From: "Jason McManus" <mcmanus(dot)jason(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notes on converting from MySQL 5.0.x to PostgreSQL 8.1.4
Date: 2006-06-30 14:39:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

> I don't believe there is any fixed "default character set". Each
> installation will have a default locale and encoding, but these depend
> on the locale under which initdb was run. From the above comment I
> surmise that you initdb'd under some UTF8-using locale ...

Ah, great. Thank you for the clarification. I did indeed run initdb
on different systems, but they were all under UTF-8, so I guess I had
drawn the wrong conclusion.

> Perhaps they should go on the project website somewhere?

I was thinking so as well, but I'm not sure where, or who to submit to
if there is no wiki or other external editing method. Any pointers
for who to contact/where to submit?

Thanks,
Jason