Re: migrating/backup script

From: "mark carew" <markcarew(at)bigpond(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: migrating/backup script
Date: 2002-12-12 21:11:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Justin,

I have this scrawled inside the back cover of my copy of PostgreSQL "a
developer's handbook'.
It must have worked or I wouldn't have written it. <g>

create a file for backup e.g.
G:\HCCISA.SQL (obviously a samba mapped drive and file)

as ROOT
on linux red hat 7.3, postgresql 7.2.?

cd /mnt/samba

chmod 777 HCCISQ.SQL

su ( to other postgres user other than postgres) e.g. "su mick"

pg_dump -a -f HCCISA.SQL hccisa -Ft
more scrawl follows that says (for tar gnu zip)

pg_restore -a -Ft -d hccisa HCCISA.SQL

It would appear on further examinaition that these commands came from
Practical PostgreSQL page 353 onwards.

I remember testing both commands and having success with both backup and
restore.

Good Luck

Mark Carew
Brisbane Australia