Re: Entering '<1' and 'BDL'

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: "pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Entering '<1' and 'BDL'
Date: 2010-04-20 19:38:31
Lists: pdxpug

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

> The database we're building uses floating point numbers, where
> appropriate. Spreadsheets use whatever someone wants to put in a cell. I
> need to look at how NAN is expressed.

However, this does raise a question that I need to answer: how to
distinguish between a sample taken, analyzed, and with a value below
detection limits and a sample not taken. There may be legitimate reasons for
not taking a sample, or it might have been missed inadvertently. Or, the
sameple might have been taken and analyzed but the results not entered in
the system.

We need to ponder this.

Rich