Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack
Date: 2009-06-04 17:55:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-es-ayuda

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Given the total lack of commentary or corrections, I will assume that the
> current draft is good and send it to the copy-editor.

I've been staring at the text and just haven't had any particular
inspiration for how to improve the part I don't like yet. The thing
that's missing there is tying together the "easier" theme by properly
including the programming features in that classification, too.

The new 8.4 features certainly make some types of database programming
tasks far easier, but the way it reads right now they sound like they've
mainly made the product more complicated. I started in that direction
with "allowing users to ask interesting questions in a single query that
would have been impossible to ask before" fairly deep into there, I wonder
if the beginning section around "as well as several advanced programming
features" should kick off that idea much earlier.