Re: Maximum transaction rate

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jack Orenstein <jack(dot)orenstein(at)hds(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maximum transaction rate
Date: 2009-03-06 18:31:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> Otherwise you need to reconfigure your drive to not cache writes.
> I forget the incantation for that but it's in the PG list archives.

There's a dicussion of this in the docs now,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/wal-reliability.html

hdparm -I lets you check if write caching is on, hdparm -W lets you toggle
it off. That's for ATA disks; SCSI ones can use sdparm instead, but
usually it's something you can adjust more permanently in the card
configuration or BIOS instead for those.