Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server
Date: 2010-01-15 17:16:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Craig James wrote:
>> That's the perception I get. CFQ is the default scheduler, but in most
>> systems I have seen, it performs worse than the other three schedulers, all
>> of which seem to have identical performance. I would avoid anticipatory on
>> a RAID array though.
>
> I thought the best strategy for a good RAID controller was NOOP.

Agreed. That's what we use here. My observation is though that noop is
identical in performance to anticipatory and deadline. Theoretically, it
should be faster.

Matthew

--
"Take care that thou useth the proper method when thou taketh the measure of
high-voltage circuits so that thou doth not incinerate both thee and the