Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yury Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2016-11-08 19:37:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/17/16 1:21 PM, Yury Zhuravlev wrote:
> Now, I published the first version of the patch.

I tried this out. Because of some file moves in initdb and
pg_basebackup, the build fails:

[ 74%] Linking C executable initdb
"_fsync_pgdata", referenced from:
_main in initdb.c.o
make[2]: *** [src/bin/initdb/CMakeFiles/initdb.dir/build.make:177:
src/bin/initdb/initdb] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2893:
src/bin/initdb/CMakeFiles/initdb.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:128: all] Error 2

Please submit an updated patch.

I suggest you use git format-patch to produce patches. This is easier
to apply, especially when there are a lot of new files involved. Also
use the git facilities to check for whitespace errors.

Please supply some documentation, such as

- what are the basic commands
- how to set include/library paths, choose configure options
- how to set CFLAGS
- how to see raw build commands
- what are the targets for all/world/check/docs etc.
- explain directory structure

I suggest for now you could put this into a README.cmake file in your
patch. We don't need to commit it that way, but it would help in the
meantime.

When I run cmake without options, it seems to do opportunistic feature
checking. For example, it turns on OpenSSL or Python support if it can
find it, otherwise it turns it off. We need this to be deterministic.
Without options, choose the basic feature set, require all other
features to be turned on explicitly, fail if they can't be found.
Whatever the Autoconf-based build does now has been fairly deliberately
tuned, so there should be very little reason to deviate from that.

The Python check appears to be picking up pieces from two different
Python installations:

-- Found PythonInterp: /usr/local/bin/python (found version "2.7.12")
-- Found PythonLibs: /usr/lib/libpython2.7.dylib (found version "2.7.10")

The check results otherwise look OK, but I'm a bit confused about the
order. It checks for some functions before all the header files are
checked for. Is that intentional?

There are a number of changes in .[ch] and .pl files that are unclear
and not explained. Please explain them. You can also submit separate
preliminary patches if you need to do some refactoring. Ultimately, I
would expect this patch not to require C code changes.