Re: PGCon 2008 RFP

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGCon 2008 RFP
Date: 2009-01-05 19:07:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 13:47 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:If you need a
> standardized template to get your message across in a
> useful way then you are likely not someone who should be doing public
> speaking in the first place.

Personally, the only argument I see for standardization is it makes the
conference feel more professional. Having been to a fair amount of
conferences, I'm more impressed by the ones that put an emphasis on the
polish of the event, matching collateral materials (logos, signage, etc).
Obviously content is king, but second to content is how the content is
conveyed, the design image of a conference.

I'm not sure why the argument is not about image. It rather seems to be
about the quality of a presenter and if a present needs/doesn't need
standardization.

There is no reason why a standard slide deck template can't encompass all
different slide layouts. Think of it like letterhead for the conference.

The most compelling reason I've heard for non-standard templates is the wide
variety of presentation tools (or lack of presentation tools)that people
use.

Regards,

Gavin