Re: Euro PG conference?

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jean-Christophe Arnu" <jcarnu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Petr Jelinek" <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <andreas(at)scherbaum(dot)la>
Subject: Re: Euro PG conference?
Date: 2007-10-10 09:20:27
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi guys,

I don't want to seem too harsh, but I believe that this whole topic must
be faced more realistically and rationally.

We can discuss about possible venues of PGDay for years. We are talking
about PGDay and ignoring the European Group issues (I posted an important
message yesterday, but nobody - as of now - has replied).

Also, it is not very mature (pardon the term) to propose cities without
tangible and realistic measures of the scope of the whole organisational
thing. Believe me, organising a PGDay such as the one in Italy that we did
last year, is very time consuming and requires lots of work. Thousands of
man hours and several months of planning. Of course, only if that's the
goal.

A city, without a working group and a real project, must not even be
mentioned. I believe that candidate cities come up with a proposal and then
we work it out. Proposing cities as we are doing now will take us nowhere.

We need facts, we need responsabilities, we need people and names that
are willing to carry them on.

I am a bit concerned about the superficiality that we have all proved so
far as a group. That's all.

Ciao,
Gabriele