Re: 8.1 Unique Index Issue/Bug???

From: "Rodrigo De Leon" <rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1 Unique Index Issue/Bug???
Date: 2006-07-13 16:32:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 7/13/06, Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On this table, I have created a unique index on payer_trn03, payer_trn04,
> and expire_timestamp. However, since the expire_timestamp is normally null,
> the unique index does not appear to be working. I have been able to enter
> two identical rows into this table.
>
> Why is PostgreSQL not enforcing this index? This appears to be a pretty
> major a bug? It would seem that you could have a unique index across
> columns that might have a null in them.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/indexes-unique.html

Quote:

"When an index is declared unique, multiple table rows with equal
indexed values will not be allowed. Null values are not considered
equal. A multicolumn unique index will only reject cases where all of
the indexed columns are equal in two rows."

Regards,

Rodrigo