Re: Very Very Slow Database Restore

From: Federico <rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very Very Slow Database Restore
Date: 2006-12-22 10:08:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/21/06, Joseph McClintock <joe(dot)mcclintock(at)antics(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feed back. Doubling the work_men from 10240 to 20480
> seemed to make the process faster but then I ran out of disk space.
> Shared buffers are at 2000 which I can try increasing.
>
> I now need to move the database off the system partition to my working
> partition which has more space. I hope don't have to re-install
> Postges, that would be a real bummer.

Hi Joseph, to move the database cluster to another partition is very
simple with postgresql.

You need to shutdown the postmaster, after this copy your database
cluster directory
preserving user and permissions to the new location, update the
$PGDATA variable for the user postgres with the value of the new
location , startup the postmaster, enjoy ;)

Best Regards and Merry Christmas

Federico Campoli