Re: top posting

From: "Peter Childs" <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: top posting
Date: 2007-12-12 08:31:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/12/2007, Stephen Cook <sclists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am subscribed to some other technical mailing lists on which the
> standard is top posting. Those people claim that filing through
> interleaved quotes or scrolling to the bottom just to see a sentence or
> two is a waste of their time. It is the same thing only backwards.
>
> Me, I don't care either way. I try to conform to whatever is the
> standard for whatever list it is. Why annoy the people giving free
> support?
>
> I suspect that neither is truly better, and that some of the original /
> very early / expert members just preferred bottom posting for whatever
> reasons, and it propagated into the "standard" for this list.

Top posting is bad grammar its like English if I wrote the sentence
backwards would you under stand it?

Its as simple as that I can't under stand whats going on if I need to start
at the back of (or bottom) and work back. Its like reading a book you start
at the beginning and work to the end, Top Posting is like putting the last
chapter or the conclusion at the start. It just does not work.

Cutting the original is summarizing what gone before so we can we know the
story so far quickly. Maybe we should start teaching this in schools?

Different languages have different rules there are languages that do read
right to left rather than left to right it does not mean there is anything
wrong with those languages, They are just not used here.

It understand you would backwards sentence the wrote I. If English like its
grammar bad is posting top.

(Sounds like something from Star Wars and the meaning has changed)

Peter Childs