POSTGRES JBDC PROBLEM

From: Chandra Mouli S <scmouli23(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: POSTGRES JBDC PROBLEM
Date: 2005-02-07 06:17:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,
SUB: Problem in JDBC with POSTGRESQL

I have installed POSTGRESQL 8.0 beta on my WINDOWS XP SP2.

It is perfectly working and I had created a database 'Student' with
table 'Details'

The server is configured on PORT NO: 5432.

I had unblocked the port no in IN-BUILT FIREWALL, to receive all requests.

This is my Servlet program:

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;

public class Stud extends HttpServlet {

public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res) throws

ServletException,IOException {

try {

int rNo=Integer.parseInt(req.getParameter("RegNo"));
String Qry="select * from details where RNo=" + rNo;
Connection con=null;
Statement st=null;
ResultSet rs=null;

res.setContentType("text/html");
PrintWriter pw =res.getWriter();

pw.println("<html>");
pw.println("<body>");
pw.println("hellO");

try
{
pw.println("STEP 1 ");
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");

} catch(ClassNotFoundException cnfe)
{
pw.println("Exception CLASS NOT FOUND");
System.err.println("Count not find the Driver class");
cnfe.printStackTrace();
}

con=DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://127.0.0.1:5432/Student","scott",
"tiger");
st=con.createStatement();
rs=st.executeQuery(Qry);
rs.next();
int No=Integer.parseInt(rs.getString(1));
String Name=rs.getString(2);

pw.println(No);
pw.println(Name);

pw.println("</body>");
pw.println("</html>");
con.close();
st.close();
}
catch(Exception e) {
PrintWriter pw =res.getWriter();
pw.println(e);
}

}
}

I had downloaded the latest postgresql driver
'postgresql-8.0-310.jdbc3.jar ' from postgres.org

I had tried all these:

1) set the classpath to this particular jar file.

2) located the javahome directory thro HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/JavaSoft/Java
Runtime Environment/*/JavaHome entry in registry and placed my jdbc
jar file in that directory.

ie c:\jre1.5.0_01\lib and \ext

3) placed my jdbc jar file in
c:\jdk1.5.0_01\lib, c:\jdk1.5.0_01\jre\lib and \ext.

I my running TOMCAT SERVER 5.0 and when I invoke the servlet after passing the
parameter values from a HTML page,

the following result in a new page is generated:

hellO STEP 1 Exception CLASS NOT FOUND java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver

The JVM is failing to locate the POSTGRESQL driver - thro the

Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver"); command.

The execution is not going beyond this command and hence the problem
is strictly with locating

and using the POSTGRESQL driver for JDBC.

Hence I would like anyone of u to help me getting out of this trouble
as soon as possible.
I am in a tight project and because of this everything is pending.

Please explain me in details all the problem in using JDBC for
POSTGRES in a WINDOWS PLATFORM.

If possible tell me place to get a correct POSTGRESQL JDBC driver...
all sites just point me to

the jdbc.postgres.org page.

Please help me as soon as possible.

Yours truly,