OIDs of data types

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OIDs of data types
Date: 2003-05-29 14:11:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have been using the docs for about a month now, but I still haven't
found where to find a table with the field types, their matching
OIDs, and type modifiers.

If anyone could show me where to find this, I would appreciate it a
lot. (I also still don't know what a "type modifier" is. If anyone
can elaborate...)

Thanks,

Marc

PS: I need that info in the light of the following spec, to know how
to interprete incoming data.

backend-frontend protocol v2.0:

RowDescription (B)

Byte1('T')
Identifies the message as a row description.

Int16
Specifies the number of fields in a row (may be zero).

Then, for each field, there is the following:

String
Specifies the field name.

Int32
Specifies the object ID of the field type.

Int16
Specifies the type size.

Int32
Specifies the type modifier.