memory does not return back

From: "hessam" <hessam(at)jolfa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: memory does not return back
Date: 2004-02-17 12:03:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I'm using freeradius 0.9.3 with postgresql 7.3.2.
All I do is just inserting some h323 accounting data into my tables.
After a couple of hours the memory reaches to about 1G and then Linux
starts using swap file.I lose some of my records and PC becomes very
slow.
Even if I restart postgresql , the memory does not return back.
I've ordered another 1Gb RAM.Is it really necessary?
When I reboot Linux and start Postgresql momory usage is about 250 Mb.
Even a single select from a large table which lasts more than a minute
causes this.
I'm using Pentium 4 (2.6 GHZ) , 1 GB RAM, 80Gb HDD.
PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i386-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-redhat-
linux-gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030213 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2.2-1).
Just a couple of days ago I ordered Intel PC with two Xeon CPUs and 1
GB RAM(soon would be 2GB) and installed Linux(9) on it same as above.
Selects are faster But again RAM usage reaches about 1GB and it's using
swap , cpu cache.Restarting Postgresql does not help.
What am I to do now?