Re: your mail

From: Oleg Broytmann <phd(at)sun(dot)med(dot)ru>
To: Angelos Karageorgiou <angelos(at)awesome(dot)incredible(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: your mail
Date: 1999-02-11 15:43:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Angelos Karageorgiou wrote:
> > I've applied the patch to 6.4.2 on Debian 2.0 and ran locale test on
> > koi8-r locale. The locale test before the patch passed and test after patch
> > passed as well. I didn't note any difference. What difference you expected?
> >

> Are you using the multibyte character set or the sigle byte ? I was having

Single byte.

> problems with the sigle byte char set where select * where message ~* "os"
> would give me different results than select * where message ~* "OS". of
> course "OS" is the iso-8859-7 greek letters omikron and sigma, I just used
> the english letters here to demostrate the problem

If you look into .../src/test/locale/koi8-r, you'll find there exactly
the same tests. These tests are working right in my locale without your
patch.
For me it seems like a compiler (or compiler option) problem - signed
vs. unsigned chars.

> > Please supply data for locale test (look into .../src/test/locale). This
> > is not related to your patch, we're just collecting test data.
>
> I could post some strings in Greek , but it would be meaningless to you I
> am afraid, and worse without a font you would not be able to see them ,
> that is why I called upon a swedish of finish fellow to test the
> differences out.

Tests in .../src/test/locale/koi8-r are meaningless to non-Russian, yet
they are in test suite. :)
We are collecting test to help people test their native locales, not
foreign locales, really.

Oleg.
----
Oleg Broytmann http://members.xoom.com/phd2/ phd2(at)earthling(dot)net