pg_dump problem

From: Kees Leune <C(dot)J(dot)Leune(at)kub(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump problem
Date: 1998-08-24 09:25:30
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have a problem with the dump&restore process. When I dump my database,
the users I have are not created in the dump. I solved this process by
adding 'create user' statements to the beginning of the dump file.

I need to dump my database with all grant/revoke permissions, since I have
a lot of tables that have modified access permissions.

Dumping this isn't a problem (-z parameter with pg_dump/pg_dumpall), only
restoring the dump is. I would have expected a number of grant and revoke
statements in the dump, but instead, the script tries to run a few
update queries on pg_class directly.

During the restore process, all I get is 'permission denied'-messages when
the script tries to execute the updates on pg_class. Apparently, users do
not have direct modification rights on pg_class in version 6.3.2 and
everything has to be done with grant and revoke permissions (is this
true?).

Do you have a suggestion on how I can fix this problem? I really do
not want to go through my dump manually since it's well over 10Gb.....

Thanks in advance,

-kees
--
Kees Leune, Researcher at the Infolab        | Email: kees(at)kub(dot)nl
Tilburg University, The Netherlands          | Phone: +31 13 466 2688

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Gran SternerDate: 1998-08-24 12:47:19