Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Scott Tomer x6214 Austin <stomer(at)bmc(dot)com>
Cc: julie(at)hub(dot)org, byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file
Date: 1998-04-18 03:39:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Scott Tomer x6214 Austin wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 julie(at)hub(dot)org wrote:
>
> > The last time I made mumblings of droping 16 bit support I got
> > roasted pretty good. There seem to still be a lot of 16 bit users out
> > there that would like to use the driver.
> >
> > Julie
>
> Could someone forward this to the old list; I'm sorry that I do not remember
> the address. It is just that I know not all members of the old PostODBC
> list have migrated to this one, and there may be many of those that have
> viewpoints on this issue.
>
> I, myself, would not have a problem with dropping 16bit; however, I realize
> not all have windoze users have buckled under the enourmous pressure from
> MS to convert to 95.

Besides a cocky remark every now and then (don't even need ale for that :)
I've been avoiding most of this discussion. Y'know M$ came up with w95 a
few years ago and you'd think that by now everyone migrated. It's simply
not true. Alot of businesses have decided that 95 isn't for them and that
3.1 is stable enough for their operation and that's that.

Then there's another thing that many people neglect to notice. There's a
TON of people out there that are running OS/2 which does 3.1 only. I did
the port (not that there was alot of work to do that) of psql and libpq to
OS/2. You'd be surprised how many people are still running that operating
system that M$ has repeatedly declared dead. But the fact remains that it
runs 16 bit windows only unless someone does the port (using Open32). If
you want a diverse crowd using it - a crowd that may very well find enough
of an interest in it to help (which seems to be a shortage these days) in
the development - then you sure don't wanna start by isolating perspective
users, do ya?

Possibility for the FAQ. Make the "official site" www.postgresql.org and
use wgets in a cron job to keep it up. That way the most current copy is
always on the main site. If for some reason the keeper can't keep up at
least it's got a current rendition at the main site for someone else to
pick up and run with. Also that way Julie can keep it up at Magenet and
have it local for easy updates. (note: assumptions taken in that last
statement)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> TEAM-OS2
Online Searchable Campground Listings http://www.camping-usa.com
"I'm just not a fan of promoting stupidity!
We have elected officials for that job!" -- Rock