Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: "Bodanapu, Sravan" <Sravan(dot)Bodanapu(at)NextelPartners(dot)com>
Cc: "PGSQL General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:
Date: 2003-02-13 13:25:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Bodanapu, Sravan wrote:

> We are trying to migrate a database from Oracle to Postgres which is about
> 150Gig.
> How do you setup and maintain Big tables having around 20-30 million rows ?
> Is there a way to setup table partitioning ? How can I improve the Postgres
> Database performance for such a bid database ?

I've set up tables with 500 million or more rows just as I would with
any other table. There is no table partitioning per se in postgres, but
you can always modify your application to use separate tables (which I
have also done for some large ones).

As for performance, that is soooo application dependent that you really
probably want to hire a consultant to help you out if you don't have time
to spend studying it yourself.

At the very least, for anything big like this, you'd want to spend
a week or two playing around with your database and application on
postgres before you even think about whether you want to convert or not.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC