Re: postgres installation - best configuration?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: David Kennedy <satch(at)biteme(dot)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres installation - best configuration?
Date: 2003-01-29 05:35:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, David Kennedy wrote:

> This weekend I will be building a couple of new postgres database servers
> under RH7.3, and I am currently deciding between 2 different configuration
> options. The new servers feature hot-swappable RAID w/ 3 hard drives in
> each.

It depends on what you need in terms of reliability and performance.

Best performance (assuming non-insignifcant write load):

Put the OS and DB on the first two drives, striped (RAID0), and the
logs on the third drive.

Best safety maximum capacity:

Put everything on a single RAID5 across all three drives. (RAID5 on
three drives is likely to be significantly slower than a single disk
or mirrored pair would be, though.)

Best safety with good performance:

Mirror two drives (RAID1) and put everything on the pair. Use the
third drive as a hot spare for the mirrored pair.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC