Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date: 2002-09-25 01:07:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> And AFAICS it is scary only because screwing that up will simply corrupt
> your database. Thus, a simple random number (okay, and a timestamp of
> initdb) in two files, one in $PGDATA and one in $PGXLOG would be a
> totally sufficient safety mechanism to prevent starting with the wrong
> XLOG directory.

But still, why set up a situation where your database might not
start? Why not set it up so that if you get just *one* environment
or command-line variable right, you can't set another inconsistently
and screw up your start anyway? Why store configuration information
outside of the database data directory in a form that's not easily
backed up, and not easily found by other utilities?

It's almost like people *don't* want to put this in the config file
or something....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC