Re: Rules and Views

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rules and Views
Date: 2002-08-01 04:17:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> writes:
> > You want to be careful with this sort of stuff, since the query planner
> > sometimes won't do the view as efficiently as it would do the fully
> > specified equivalant query. I've posted about this here before.
>
> Please provide an example. AFAIK a view is a query macro, and nothing
> else.

I already did provide an example, and you even replied to it. :-)
See the appended message.

BTW, this page

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-06/threads.php

does not display in Navigator 4.78. Otherwise I would have provided a
reference to the thread in the archive.

Maybe we need a web based form for reporting problem pages in the archives.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC