Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

From: suga(at)netbsd(dot)com(dot)br
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Date: 2002-07-08 04:58:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> That's obvious. Since QL means "query language," "Postgres QL" would
> refer to the old, QUEL-derived query language that Postgres used before
> it was ripped out and replaced with SQL, right?
>
> "Postgres" is simple, people use it anyway, and everybody now knows that
> Postgres uses SQL instead of its own query language now, so I think it
> would be a very good to just switch back to to that. With the demise of
> Great Bridge, we even have the postgres.org domain name free for this
> now.

So obvious for us, so enigmatic for non-technical people. Also,
"PostgresQL" could very well be understood as "another kind of SQL", as
people could read "Postgres Query Language". I agree that "Postgres" is a
better approach for what is desired. I still would like to know if this is
really under discussion, I mean, if such change would be possible someday.

[]'s
Ricardo.