pg_dump-ing tables and their sequences

From: Michael Adler <adler(at)glimpser(dot)org>
To: "PostgreSQL General Help (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump-ing tables and their sequences
Date: 2002-03-25 18:09:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm tracking development by storing pg_dumps in CVS. This is pretty handy.
I even have a script that makes diffs of the versions to help us write
upgrade patches. If anyone has hints or wants build a general solution for
this type of thing, I'm interested.

The problem is this:

We create two tables, each with implicit SEQUENCES by using the SERIAL datatype.

Then:

pg_dump --schema --table=sometable databasename
pg_dump --schema --table=anothertable databasename

The output for sometable includes the "CREATE SEQUENCE
sometable_column_seq" statment, but the output for anothertable does not.
It only referes to that sequence in the column type nextval statement.

How can I reliably pg_dump the sequence with the table?

Mike Adler