Re: Shared Memory Sizing

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared Memory Sizing
Date: 2002-06-28 04:13:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> For what it's worth, truss on Solaris 7 indicates that copying from
> OS buffer costs a few milliseconds (between 2 and 8 in our tests,
> depending on load), at least in our tests.

Ouch! Are you sure you mean MILLIseconds, rather than MICROSECONDS?

8K in 2 ms. = 4 MB/sec.
8K in 8 usec. = 976 MB/sec.

The latter would be a much more reasonable figure for memory bandwidth...

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC