Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects

From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date: 2002-01-23 22:49:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> > When configured for historical behavior would need to:
> > 1. have search path: temp, any, system
> > 2. guard against duplicate table names across all schemas (except temp schema)
>
> This would be a *whole* lot simpler if we forgot the notion of "any"
> and made the search order look like
>
> (temp, private, public, system)
>
> where the public namespace is world-writable but the private per-user
> ones are (typically at least) not.
>
> It occurs to me that we can get both backward-compatible and SQL92
> semantics with this same search path; the only thing that needs to
> be different in the two cases is whether the default place to create
> objects is your private schema or the public one. If you don't ever
> use your private schema then it doesn't matter if it's on the search
> path or not. I would still prefer that the search path be a settable
> option, since a paranoid person might well wish to not have public in
> his path at all ... but the default could be as-above.

s/public/DEFAULT/ and add a way (createdb option) to make the default ACL
on DEFAULT such that anyone can create things and we are in agreement.

One of the parts of the schema system I'd envisioned (and tried to make)
was that there would be an IMPLIMENTATION_SCHEMA which owned all
built-ins, and a DEFAULT schema which was owned by the superuser. Making
the default schema path for a schema
IMPLIMENTATION_SCHEMA:<SCHEMA_NAME>:DEFAULT is fine.

Making the default schema for creation settable to DEFAULT would be fine,
and I think would remove objection. :-)

Take care,

Bill