Re: damage control mode

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-02-07 14:56:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I think it might be time to revisit this issue.  SR is in, and we have
>>> a week left in the CF, and we have all of the above patches plus 5
>>> small ones left to deal with.  rbtree is close to being committable, I
>>> think; knngist has not been reviewed yet; you (Tom) have claimed the
>>> frame options patch but I haven't seen any update on it in a while; I
>>> doubt either of the other two are ready to commit but I'm not sure how
>>> far they have to go.
>>
>> I think, as previously discussed, that we should bounce knngist.    It's
>> a complex patch and nobody saw anything of it until Jan 15, so I don't
>> feel bad about it.  Mark Cave-Ayland was going to review it, but
>> apparently felt that rbtree was the higher priority.

Hey, I'm lost here, when we previously discussed, that knngist should be
rejected ? knngist is a legal patch, submitted in time (and discussed in
-hackers) and it's not our fault, people are busy doing other reviews.
Knngist has some prerequisites, rbtree, for example, and it took a while,
but now, when we're close to commit rbtree, people can review knngist.

> rbtree is a prerequisite for knngist. point_ops was too. I think
> we're going to get rbtree done yet, but the main patch seems out of
> reach. There's no way it's going to go in without both pre-commit and
> post-commit changes, and I don't think we have time for that now.

We have a week to get review and do possible required pre-commit changes.
Mark, you can download test data for knngist from
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/2009-11-25

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83