WAL Log Size

From: John Evans <admin(at)kilnar(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL Log Size
Date: 2008-02-28 18:23:05
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

I've done some searching in the mailing list archives, and the
Internet in general, and come up with a blank. Here's my setup:

I'm working on setting up a replication system between two 8.1.11
servers using WAL log shipping via rsync. Nothing special there, but
the problem that I'm having is that a new WAL log will not be created
(and thus shipped) until 16MB of transactional data is created. The
database that I am setting things up on does not produce a vast amount of
transactions, and it can sometimes take over an hour before a new log is
generated. My boss wants a smaller window between WAL logs.

How can I change the WAL log size from 16MB to something smaller?
Ideally, I would like to shoot for 8MB or even 4MB.

The only thing that I've found is to hack the code to change all
instances of YY_READ_BUF_SIZE from 16777216 to 4194304, but I'm not sure
what else that will affect, if anything.

I've heard that upgrading to 8.2 or 8.3 will allow me to setup a
timeout value for WAL log creation, but upgrading at this time is not an
option for various reasons.

Any insight that you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

--
John Evans
Administrator of kilnar.com