Re: CORRECTION to msg 'loading same instance of dump to two different servers simultaneously'

From: Matthew <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Susan Russo <russo(at)morgan(dot)harvard(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, harvsys(at)morgan(dot)harvard(dot)edu
Subject: Re: CORRECTION to msg 'loading same instance of dump to two different servers simultaneously'
Date: 2008-02-25 13:11:04
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-performance
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Susan Russo wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has had success doing a simultaneous
> load of one Pg dump to two different servers?  The load command
> is actually run from two different workstations, but reading the
> same pgdump-file.

Please don't cross-post.

I can't see any problems with doing that. You have two independent
workstations uncompressing the data, sending it over the network to two
independent servers. The only common points are the fileserver and the
network. Assuming both of those can keep up, you won't even have a
performance penalty.

Matthew

--
As you approach the airport, you see a sign saying "Beware - low
flying airplanes". There's not a lot you can do about that. Take