Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-17 19:40:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Well, Shashank also said quite clearly that PostgreSQL is harder to
> use than MySQL in these cases. Harder how? I don't know, and I am

I would suspect that at one point, MySQL was also "hard to use" with Plesk
and Cpanel; but the MySQL folks put forth the effort to integrate the two
and make it "easy to use". Similarly, if some PG folks put forth some
effort towards Plesk and CPanel, Postgres would become "easy to use" as
well. I think this is what Shashank is tring to get at.

> surely not the person who can learn from experience, because nothing
> that I do puts me into any contact with making PostgreSQL play with
> plesk or any of that other stuff.

Right, but if someone with PG and PHP skills put forth some effort to make
Plesk / CPanel play well with PG, then the marketing efforts would be that
much easier and the use of PG would probably increase. That's all that is
being said here.

Thanks,
-josh