Re: Not ready for 8.3

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not ready for 8.3
Date: 2007-05-15 20:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 May 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Tsearch2 in core. I know that Tom has some reservations, he I and Treat
>>> all commented on how it was done and to my knowledge those reservations
>>> have not been resolved.
>>
>> We'd like to know about these reservations. If I understand you mean there
>> are issues with the patch ? Our patch is several months old. We permanently
>> keep it in sync with CVS HEAD, latest version is 0.47.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-01/msg01172.php

there are several others threads.

well, we did answer all raised questions and I don't want to begin
another wave. The only problem I see is that some people doesn't like
introducing SQL syntax, they claim functions would be enough. SQL is a
nice language to manipulate db objects, finally.
Also, select to fts_create_dictionary(bla-bla....) looks pretty ugly,
pretty artificial.

CREATE FULLTEXT DICTIONARY dictname
[ { INIT init_function
| LEXIZE lexize_function
| OPTION opt_text }
[ ... ]] LIKE template_dictname;

select

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83