Re: Problem with "create database ... with template "

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with "create database ... with template "
Date: 2007-05-09 20:38:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
>> I tried that connecting to template1, but it doesn't helped. The problem
>> occurs even if I repeat 'drop;create' in one connection (the same backend).
>
> Hmm. Do you have autovacuum turned on? 8.2 isn't real smart about
> dealing with autovac running in the template DB ...

yes, it turned on. With autovac off the problem seems gone away.

> FWIW, I could repeat it here easily with the given test case (new
> connections being made each time) but not with a single persistent
> connection.

If I play with toy database (empty) I don't see error message.
Real database is about 800Mb, so it takes about 22 seconds to create
database. Looks like there is a time lag between completion
'create database ...' command and actual releasing of template db.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83