Re: RPMs for RedHat ES3.0

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPMs for RedHat ES3.0
Date: 2005-10-03 17:15:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Philip Yarra wrote:

> Devrim, I had some problems installing on RedHat ES3.0 with the RPMs. This
> issue turned out to be that I needed the compat libs to provide the old libs
> before I could install the new libs.
>
> I found a link to
> http://developer.PostgreSQL.org/~devrim/compat-postgresql-libs-3-3PGDG.i686.rpm
> in an archived post from -hackers. It wasn't all that obvious what was
> required though, so is it possible that this RPM could actually be put with
> the downloads for the main RPMs? I'm not sure anyone's installation would
> succeed without that RPM on RedHat ES3.0. Please let me know if I'm missing
> something.

We haven't discussed it before, but I think we can't put the RPM among
PGDG RPMs. The main reason is that this is not a piece of software that's
included within that release of PostgreSQL. Also, this compat RPM is not
needed if you don't have a software that needs that RPM.

> As an aside: is it possible to actually to just include the contents of
> compat-libs in postgresql-libs, since they actually seem to be required? It'd
> save me some hassles for future installations. Probably other folks too.

As I wrote above, it does not seem possible.

Also remember that this will be probably 'solved' in RHEL 5 (and FC 5), so
merging compat with main libs package is not a good idea.

Regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
Kivi Bilişim Teknolojileri - http://www.kivi.com.tr