Re: PITR: in use WAL file question

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR: in use WAL file question
Date: 2005-05-10 16:04:31
Lists: sfpug

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> If you WAL log turnover is that low, you should consider periodically using
> CHECKPOINT instead of PITR.
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-checkpoint.html

Sean,

Thanks for your response!

Did you mean using CHECKPOINT to force a WAL rollover for use with PITR? Or
did you just mean doing something like this:

psql -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('jeffsbackup'); CHECKPOINT;" template1

rsync ....

psql -c 'SELECT pg_stop_backup();' template1

I guess I'm missing how CHECKPOINT could be used instead of PITR?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/