Re: PostgreSQL on Solaris 8 and ufs

From: "Brandon Metcalf" <bmetcalf(at)nortel(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Solaris 8 and ufs
Date: 2005-03-23 17:16:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

a == ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca writes:

a> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 03:23:18PM -0600, Brandon Metcalf wrote:
a> > s> What are you using to measure
a> > s> performance?
a> >
a> > Nothing too scientific other than the fact that since we have moved
a> > the DB, we consistenly see a large number of postmater processes
a> > (close to 100) where before we did not.

a> What did you move from? The Solaris ps (not in ucb, which is the
a> BSD-style ps) shows the parent process name, so everything shows up
a> as "postmaster" rather than "postgres". There's always one back end
a> per connection.

a> If you are in fact using more connections, by the way, I can tell you
a> that Solaris 8, in my experience, is _very bad_ at managing context
a> switches. So you may not be merely I/O bound (although your other
a> reports seem to indicate that you are).

We moved from an HP-UX 10.20 box where the pgsql installation and data
were on a vxfs fileystem.

And we're definitely seeing more connections at a time which indicates
that each process is taking longer to complete.

--
Brandon