Re: 8.2 features status

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-04 04:30:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > > My outlook is that it isn't a lot of _new_ things that you couldn't do
> > > before, but rather improvements of existing functionality.
> >
> > It seems as though the majority of things on Tom's list are new things you
> > couldn't do (at all easily) before.
>
> To me new things are like PITR, Win32, savepoints, two-phase commit,
> partitioned tables, tablespaces. These are from 8.0 and 8.1. What is
> there in 8.2 like that?

Well, GIN and some of the unreviewed stuff (bitmaps, plpgsql debugger,
updateable views) are in the same league as the stuff in 8.0 in terms of
user demand and catching up with competitors, I think.

A lot of the things on Tom's list are new bits of functionality to things
added around 8.0 and 8.1 (major enhancements to the usability of
constraint exclusion, for example). We knew then that these needed
additional functionality to fill them out and make them useful to a wide
range of people. Ideally we'd have both at each release but reality
doesn't work like that.

Thanks,

Gavin