Checkpoint question

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Checkpoint question
Date: 2006-01-11 23:24:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I understand checkpoint code doing something like this:

Get RedoRecPtr;
Flush all dirty buffers no matter what's its LSN;
Write down checkpoint xlog record;

So I wonder is it possible flush only dirty buffers with LSN < RedoRecPtr
to improve checkpoint caused delay? Because even we flush every dirty
buffers, we still have to replay from the RedoRecPtr. Of course, this only
applies to non-critical checkpoints (critical ones like startup and
shutdown).

Regards,
Qingqing