Re: add server include files to default installation?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date: 2004-05-18 13:17:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Jan,

> Depending on the OS you also need funny things like mkldexport shell
> scripts and the like.

Possibly, yes... I don't know. I really need a list, then it is pretty
easy to update all makefiles.

> I thought we had a consensus of providing a template build environment
> for external modules.

Good! Where is it? I mean the template, not the consensus.

> This half-baked attempt is not doing it. The makefiles make assumptions
> about their location that aren't true any more when they're installed
> somewhere else.

I noticed and took care of this point. In fact, it really depends on
top_builddir, so by setting this macro appropriately it should work.
Something like:

top_builddir := $(shell pg_config --insbuilddir)
include $(top_builddir)/src/Makefile.global

This mean that relevant files must be installed in subdirectories that are
named as the postgresql source tree... I agree that it is not beautiful,
but it seems to me that it is the simplest way to have contrib-like
makefiles outside of the main tree, and to be able to reuse the whole
infrastructure.

Obviously, any better idea is welcome, esp. if I do not have to do it
myself;-)

The current status is that *nothing* is provided, so I'm trying to have
something better than nothing with a reasonnable effort.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr