Re: sybase->postgresql

From: Ashish Mahabal <aam(at)astro(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sybase->postgresql
Date: 2004-02-11 18:01:15
Lists: pgsql-general

> Easiest way? Use perl to pull from Sybase and build a COPY-formatted file.
> Then have perl log into postgres and load the file. Seems awkward, but it's
> actually *much* faster than other methods. We do this for a 1GB Sybase
> database for one client on a nightly basis; takes about 40 minutes.

Thanx Josh. My conceptual difficulty was logging into postgres using perl
since for sybase I have been using the specialized sybperl. But I guess
the standard documentation will help me there.

Cheers,
ashish

Ashish Mahabal, Caltech Astronomy, Pasadena, CA 91125
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~aam aam(at)astro(dot)caltech(dot)edu

"One geometry cannot be more true than another; it can only be more
convenient. Geometry is not true, it is advantageous." Robert T. Pirsig