Re: md5 function

From: Jon Earle <je_pgsql(at)kronos(dot)honk(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: md5 function
Date: 2003-12-17 14:30:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> md5() should be stock in 7.4.

Is there a way to, when I add a record to a table, have the md5 hash
computed and stored in the same table and then returned to the calling
program? Currently, I'm using the perl md5 function to compute the hash
and store it in the DB but I'm thinking that offloading this to the DB
itself might be faster (of course, if that's not true and the way I'm
doing things now is fine, then I'll leave it as it is).

--
Jon Earle

SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/

Vegetarian - an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'.