sugsestions

From: ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: sugsestions
Date: 2003-07-08 21:31:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

What do you think about :

1. OPTION RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT (when function is created) change to
RETURNS <val> ON NULL INPUT .... ???

2. CREATE TYPE .. with INHERITS (..) like in CREATE TABLE
but type should be normaly with including base type
create type A AS (A INT,B INT);
and
create type B AS (C INT, D INT) INHERITS( A ); ==
create type B AS (A INT, B INT, C INT, D INT );
can be ??

3. For example :
CREATE TABLE t1 (A INT, B INT );
CREATE TABLE t2 (C INT , D INT ) INHERITS(t1);

SELECT a.* FRom t2 a ; give me 4 cols (A,B,C and D)
SELECT a.C,((t1)a).* FROM t2 a; should give me 3 cols (C,A and B)
its like in c++ , but in c++ you need to use ((t1&)a) cast it.
I cant find the words in english , but i hope you understand this.

4. This is q question . Is in SPI sth like try and catch () ?
It would be very useful to error ..
plpgsql should have this too.
(itd also from c++)

5. What do you think about crontab in postgres database , like pg_crontab
?

6. the last. i need to create function with only one select with security
definer . The best way is to create function with language SQL . Problem
is becaulse table from which is this select dont exists , jet. It will
be a temp table . When i create function [....] language SQL there is a error
about non-exists table. So i have proposition to include option to
create function command : WITH / WITHOUT CHECK ... ? or PRECOMPILE ?
What do you think ?

thanks :>
ivan