Re: [SQL] [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

From: Yury Bokhoncovich <byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
Date: 2002-10-07 05:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, I agree with you Manfred, but more people _don't_ want it to
> change, and like it the way it is, so we will just keep it and add
> now("string").

IMHO the best way could be GUC-default/SET session-based variable
controlling the behaviour. By default old Pg one, but ppl can set
standard-compliant. Such changes were done often in past, look at "group
by" behaviour changes 6.4->6.5, default Pg datetime representation format
change, etc. I think those who concern interoperability confirm that it's
much easy to add one SET per session then replace all CURRENT_STAMP to
now(blah-blah-blah). Moreover, ppl who need old behaviour can easily
revert to this by just one SET (in case GUC is set to new behaviour).

--
WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru(dot)