Re: How to Force Transactions to Process Serially on A Table

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Lane Van Ingen <lvaningen(at)esncc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to Force Transactions to Process Serially on A Table
Date: 2005-12-19 15:22:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

O Lane Van Ingen έγραψε στις Dec 19, 2005 :

> Thanks, that helped.
>
> Please answer 2 other related questions, if you would:
> (1) What must I do to 'Be prepared for serialization failures' (how to
> detect, how to handle)?
> Do you have a sample?

Look at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/transaction-iso.html

> (2) Also, I am assuming that the effect of all of this is to just force
> transactions to wait in line
> to be processed serially, and that it only lasts as long as the pl/pgsql
> transaction block or
> the next COMMIT.

Then transaction isolation SERIALIZABLE is not for this task.

What you would do is use the
SELECT ... FOR UPDATE
construct.

Normally you would not care about locking the whole table
but only row of interest.

--
-Achilleus